Annual Research Overview reports were prepared throughout the course of the MHRP programme, and posted at this site.
The overview reports, prepared by the IEH, are available here. In addition to providing a brief historic perspective of the issues relating to the health effects of manganese, the first report discusses significant research findings published during the period January 2002 to February 2007. The second report covers the period March 2007 to February 2008. The third report covers the period March 2008 to February 2009. The fourth and final report covers the period March 2009 to December 2010. These reports addressed:
- Measurement and modelling of environmental and occupational Mn exposure
- Development of biomarkers of exposure or effect
- Influence of Mn on health, disease and dysfunction
- Physiological, biochemical and cellular mechanisms of effect
- Role of genetic and epigenetic factors on Mn susceptibility; and
- Development and implementation of new medical approaches to the treatment of excessive Mn exposure.
In addition, the reports sought to assess likely future research needs, and to facilitate the direction of research funds in an efficient and targeted manner.