Manganese Health Research Program: Phase 1, Core 1
|Research Core Project Number:|
|Research Core Project:||Development of guidance and tools to facilitate the use of routine exposure data in future epidemiology studies of manganese exposed workers|
|Core Principal Investigator (CPI):||Dr Robert J Aitken / Dr Martie J.A. van Tongeren|
- To review methods for the evaluation of neurological health end points in the manganese industry and in other industries where these end points are considered relevant and to develop recommendations for a core set of evaluation methods to be used for the evaluation of these end points; and
- To identify, develop and evaluate a set of methods, guidelines and tools to enable manganese producer companies to routinely collect valid, appropriate and comparable information relating to manganese exposure, applicable to current and future, as yet unplanned, epidemiological studies.
Project Description: Brief abstract describing scope of project
During this project we i) reviewed methods for the evaluation of neurological health end points and provided a recommendations for a core set of evaluation methods, and ii) developed a comprehensive exposure database tool for the collection and storage of manganese exposure data for use in human health risk assessment studies of occupational manganese exposure. The review of neurological health end points concluded that many different, and often poortly described, neurobehavioural performance tests have been used for evaluating the health end points of manganese exposure. More rigorous research methodologies and testing procedures are required for future studies. We developed a database tool for collecting and storing manganese occupational exposure and contextual data (Manganex). In conjunction with Manganex, we wrote a document providing guidance on design of occupational hygiene surveys, methods for sampling and analyses of manganese in air, and statistical analyses of exposure data. The guidance document also contains a section on the use of Manganex. Manganex was presented at the MHPR showcase event in Landsdown, June 2009.and will be distributed to IMnI and its member companies.
|Project started: 1 Oct 2005|
|Scheduled completion date: 31 Mar 2009|
|Completed: June 2010|
Key research accomplishments:
- The health endpoints and methods to determine these have been reviewed and a report produced.
- A comprehensive and detailed exposure database tool (MANGANEX) was developed and trialled at two manganese producers.
- A guidance document for collecting Mn exposure data and use of MANGANEX has been developed.
Last updated: March 2011
To obtain a soft useable copy of the MANGANEX please visit the institute of occupational Medicines website at www.iom-world.org